As soon as there’s the slightest fall chill in the air, I’m ready to start making soups and stews more often. I love this Crock-Pot Chicken Soup for an easy weeknight meal.
This soup is chock full of antioxidants and nutrients and is perfect for those following an autoimmune or anti-inflammatory protocol.
Once you have the method down, you can change this soup up in so many ways. Add this Easy Crock-Pot Chicken Soup to your meal plan this week!
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs (about 5 thighs)
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt plus more to taste
- 3 Sprigs Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 5 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 lb Carrots (sliced in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4″ slices)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1/2 Bunch Kale (chopped into bite-sized pieces, about 4 cups packed)
- 1/2 Tbl Fresh Thyme leaves, removed from stem
- Place the chicken thighs in the base of a crockpot. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken.
- Place the thyme sprigs and minced garlic on top of the chicken.
- Pour the water(or chicken broth) into the crockpot. Add the chicken base, if using.
- Cook the chicken on high for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours the chicken should be “fall off the bone” tender.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot and place in a bowl.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and discard.
- At this point, if you desire, you can strain the broth in the crockpot through a fine-mesh sieve(if you want a broth free from any debris left from the chicken).
- Add the broth back to the crockpot after straining.
- Turn the heat back to high.
- Separate the chicken from the bones.
- Lightly shred the chicken. Discard any cartilage.
- Add the bones back to the soup and cover and refrigerate the chicken.
- Add the carrots, onions, and chopped thyme to the broth and cook on high for 2 hours.
- In the last 1/2 hour of cooking, add the kale to the soup.
- After 2 hours the carrots should be soft and tender, along with the kale.
- Remove the bones from the soup and discard.
- Check the seasonings and add more salt or pepper as necessary.
- Add the chicken to the soup and allow to reheat for about 10 minutes. Do not stir too much or the chicken will become over-shredded.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Variations: Add in your favorite veggies, seasonings and herbs.
#glutenfree #dairyfree #autoimmunefriendly #antiinflammatory #soup #crockpotrecipes